Are you interested in cultivating your own tomato crops? If you are a lover of the red, flavorful fruit, growing them will not only save you from shopping for groceries. However, at the same moment, it's too convenient to be doing. You will also be harvesting big tomatoes in just the twinkling of an eye by selecting the best tomato fertilizer.
Tomatoes crops are astonishingly high feeders and enhance when provided a bunch of supplements to grow throughout the season. Fertilizers, whether organic or artificial, may assist provide the extra nutrients which tomatoes need to quickly thrive and grow.
But what's the finest tomato fertilizer, though? Still, when is it a great idea for you to fertilize tomato crops?
What Is the Best Tomato Fertilizer?
The type of tomato fertilizer you may need to use will rely upon the present supplement content of the soil you have planted your tomato. Before you begin adding fertilizer to your tomatoes, it is ideal to have your soil tested.
In the event that your soil is accurately balanced or high in nitrogen, you should utilize a type of fertilizer which contains low nitrogen but high levels of phosphorus. For example, a 5-10-5 or a 5-10-10 combination of fertilizer.
In the event that your soil contains less nitrogen, utilize a fertilizer that is well balanced such as 8-8-8 or 10-10-10. If by any chance you can't complete a soil test, except if you have had issues in the past with sickly tomato plants.
You can presume that your soil is well balanced and utilize the higher phosphorus tomato plant compost or fertilizer. If it's Potassium deficiency you noticed, you can purchase the 5-10-15 fertilizer for tomatoes as well as those with higher Potassium levels.
When preparing tomato plants for fertilizers, be cautious that you don't utilize a lot of nitrogen. This will result in a rich, green tomato plant with not many tomato fruits.
Before delving in the full reviews, here are some highlighted best tomato fertilizers you may like to see.
- Best Overall: Jack's Classic Tomato Fertilizer
“Resealable, best to enhance fruiting, works well in hydroponics and for foliar application”
- Runner Up: TeaDrops Premium Organic Vegetable Pepper & Tomato Fertilizer
“Organic, environment-friendly, easy and safe to apply to the soil”
- Best Budget: Jobe’s Organics Veggie and Tomato Fertilizer
“Affordable, Pet-friendly, Environment-friendly, does well in enhancing the state of the soil”
- Best for Improving Soil: Dr. Earth Organic 5 Vegetable & Herb, Tomato Fertilizer
“Natural, great composition to improve soil microbial activities”
- Best Natural Fertilizer: Alaska Fish Emulsion Tomato Fertilizer
“Mild, natural, offers long-lasting effect on the soil fertility”
- Best Broad-Spectrum Fertilizer: Garden Magic Compost and Manure Tomato Fertilizer
“Odor-free, Affordable, Balanced ratio, can be used to condition the top soil”
Comparison Chart of the Best Tomato Fertilizers in Market 2019
I’ve got a number of products here for you. I have selected the best 19 tomato fertilizers you should start considering for your small-scale or large-scale tomato production. While you’ve got to quickly address the needs of your red-fruits.
I have made a quick preview available for you such that you can know the characteristics and components of each product. Below is a comparison table to facilitate a quick preview of each product. I have done thorough research and saved you some productive time.
Nevertheless, I suggest that you still go through the full review of all these products to improve your decision-making.
Top 19 Best Tomato Fertilizers Reviews in 2019
Offering the correct sort of fertilizer to your tomatoes enables your crops to maintain good development and guarantees a successful planting season. The easiest way to fertilize the tomatoes is to have fertilizer both before and during planting season.
Understanding the correct sort of fertilizer on your greenhouse tomatoes guarantees that they have all the phosphorus and potassium to keep good fruit production without filling the land with nitrogen. Below are the best Tomato fertilizers you should start considering for your garden or farm.
Jobe’s Organics Veggie and Tomato Fertilizer
Whenever you need sustainable agriculture, Jobe’s Organics Veggie and Tomato manure is an outstanding option since it is a certified type of fertilizer that could produce an extensive quantity of remarkable crops and vegetables.
Jobe’s granular liquid-solvent fertilizer form is generated using only a macro-supplement NPK proportion of 2-5-3 and also its Biozome, a separate but exclusive combination of feasible essential micro-organisms such as mycorrhizal organisms and archaea.
The fertilizer is generally energy-packed with fast-acting fertilizer that tries to improve the soil quality of your crop by ingesting the soil and the crop with nutritional supplements and reducing the risk of illness, bugs as well as drought and encouraging your tomato crops to generate more tomato seeds.
Like tomatoes, you could also use the form of fertilizer for quite a wide range of crops including onions, cucumbers, potatoes, pumpkins, lettuce, carrots, eggplants, beans, and peppers.
Jobe’s Organics is approved by USDA and has been recognized by the OMRI agency. It does not contain any hazardous produced synthetic compound and thus is completely secure to be used within the reach of children and animals.
This 4-lbs type of fertilizer is available in a simple-pour, resealable pack for easy dispersion and to counteract any spoiling. It may be sprayed at the duration of planting and after each four to six weeks for the best outcomes.
- Extraordinary quality.
- Excellent pricing.
- Comprises macro-supplements and micro-supplements.
- Natural granular fertilizer intended for vegetables as well as tomatoes.
- Produces an increasingly high quantity of harvest.
- It is USDA approved and it is enlisted on OMRI for the category of organic farming.
- Comprises of Jobe´s unique Biozome.
- Enhances state of the soil, it is resistance to disease, bugs, as well as drought.
- Healthy to use within the reach of kids as well as pets.
- It is friendly to the environment.
- Contains a simple pour pack.
- It is available in various fertilizer sack sizes.
- It might not accomplish the best outcomes for potted tomato trees.
- Instructions or guidelines contained on the cover of the package are not clear.
Miracle-Gro Tomato Fertilizer
(Best for Tomatoes and Peppers that bolsters fruiting)
The 1.5-lb Miracle-Gro manure has always been special for potatoes and many other fruiting plants for a large crop of prepared blue beans that are merely overflowing with beauty.
It involves a decent mixture of 18-18-21 quantitative-supplements NPK proportion and basic essential nutrients: 5.0 percent magnesium, 0.051 percent copper, 0.101 percent iron, 0.051 percent manganese and 0.050 percent zinc, providing the ideal quantity of nutrients to enable your tomato plants to grow and thrive.
You may spare significant greenhouse time by simultaneously watering and nourishing your tomato crops. Simply add the manure to the right liquid-to-item ratio in a backpack sprayer or siphon sprayer and enable the fertilizer to function.
This fertilizer comes at a 1.5lb pack which gives great inclusion as it nourishes an estimate of 600 square feet. For the highest-outcomes, it should be sprayed at an interval of 7-14 days.
- It offers excellent value for cash.
- Produces awesome outcomes.
- It offers a balanced mix of macro as well as micro-supplements.
- It produces quick-results.
- Excellent for tomatoes as well as vegetables.
- Adaptable fertilizer may be utilized alongside with a pump spray, garden feed or watering can.
- Offers excellent coverage.
- Just contains few micro-supplements.
- Not perfect for plants with calcium inadequacies.
- May burn acidic plants.
Espoma Tomato-tone Organic Tomato Fertilizer
(Best for Tomatoes and Peppers for Organic Rejuvenation of Soil Fertility)
Develop delicious fruits with such a distinctive Espoma Tomato tone Organic Fertilizer. This is an all-natural high-quality natural 4lbs fertilizer which is ideal for increasing tomatoes and multiple plants such as pumpkin, cucumbers, and peppers.
Natural elements in the tomato tone are organically nurturing your tomato plants and would not prevent fast development at the cost of lovely flowers and tomato manufacturing.
It is accessible at a stable N-P-K supplement proportion of 3-4-6, a complicated combination of 15 basic vitamins and minerals, Espoma's Bio-tone value, which in itself is a restricted mixture of vital microorganisms and 8.0 percent calcium to bar the plants from blossom-end rot disease, your crops would become strong as well as create strong, succulent vegetables.
The fertilizer is authorized and does not contain sludges, hazardous or deadly components. It is environmentally safe and has been supported by the USDA for intentional cultivation.
One may utilize Tomato-tone in a wide range of crops and the moderate discharge, constant nourishing granules won't destroy the tomato plant's leaves or suck away into the ground.
- It is of high quality.
- Offers excellent value for your cash.
- Highly Effective.
- Lasting moderate discharge consistent nourishing.
- Proprietary Bio tone formula.
- Excellently structured N-P-K macro-nutrient content of 3-4-6.
- Primarily designed for the production of reliably robust, flavorful vegetables.
- Comprises a complex mixture of approximately 15 fundamental nutrients, including.
- 0 percent calcium to eradicate bloom end decay.
- Ecologically friendly and secure.
- No sludge, hazardous or dangerous supplements.
- Endorsed for natural agriculture by the USDA.
- Dynamic microorganisms just have a timeframe of realistic usability of two years.
- Contains a strong pungent odor.
- If not utilized cautiously, may burn some kinds of leafy vegetables.
Neptune's Harvest Vegetable and Tomato Fertilizer
(Best for Containers and Improving Soil Fertility)
Neptune's Harvest Fluid Fertilizer is produced exclusively for advanced tomato plants and veggie crops and others in the premature "germinating” levels. It is the best tomato fertilizer for containers, thanks to its slow release of nutrient.
Neptune is the first of a kind technique involves a sensitive 2-4-3 N-P-K macro-supplement blend in comparison to fresh North Atlantic salmon, molasses, yucca concentrate, ocean vegetation as well as humic acids. Such components are all innate and will guarantee that the tomato plants remain secure, creating fertile leaves and helping develop their tomato products.
The complete additive rich fertilizer also enhances your tomato crops so that they can withstand strong heat and dry season while also improving their overall vigor, texture and root density. You can predict a notable crop of huge, juicy and delicious vegetables with such powerful and safe plant crops.
Neptune's Harvest indicates which you reduce 1 ounce of the tomato fertilizer focus to 1 gallon of water and use the fertilizer every 1 or 2 decades. It can very excellently be used on free-air and outdoor crops and a broad variety of forests, herbs, flowers, and potted plants.
- It is of high quality.
- All its supplements are natural.
- Balanced 2-4-3 macro-supplement mix.
- Contains new North Atlantic, molasses, yucca concentrate, ocean growth as well as humic acids.
- Enhances vigor as well as the quantity of tomatoes or vegetables produced.
- Perfect for vegetables, flowers, bushes, as well as trees.
- Assists plants to endure high temperatures and dry season.
- Delivers great outcomes.
- Enhances incredible development.
- Can be utilized in the growth of beautiful, fragrant flowers.
- Can be used as a foliar feed for plants.
- It isn’t OMRI recognized.
- Try not to store diluted fertilizer or it can turn smelly.
- Parts of the containers were not packaged properly, may result in the container to spill.
- Can be too concentrated for growing seedlings.
Dr. Earth Organic 5 Vegetable & Herb, Tomato Fertilizer
(Best for Improving Soil)
It includes a wealthy mix of supplements, such as fishbone meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and the Dr. Earth's tomato manure is really useful for creating dense harvest supplements that can also maintain well under brutal circumstances such as dry seasons.
- Includes selected different strains of ecto as well as endo mycorrhizae that add into dry season resistance and enhance the availability of supplements alongside increasing plant growth and development.
- It also includes probiotics, which activates the development of good microorganisms, and includes seven different strains of genuinely helpful topsoil organisms towards further development.
- Earth’s manure has emerged enabling rapid growth in cherry tomatoes, thereby increasing yield over a shorter period of time.
- The brand is an independent, entire family-claimed company, ensuring that it complies with the state, nearby, and public fertilizer rules.
- Because it’s widely speculated to get highly smelly, it might not be the finest to mix with liquid. Moreover, for comparison purposes, it could be wiser to first mix in along with soil before sowing tomato seedlings.
- The brand identity is also not entirely legitimate, as when the product is manufactured using both organic and natural supplements, and consequently does not make it completely easy to use.
- Some kinds of vegetables may yield foundation end rot due to the potential lack of calcium in the tomato compost as a whole.
Alaska Fish Emulsion Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Natural Fertilizer)
The Alaska Fish Emulsion Fertilizer, as the name hints, is produced from fishes. From the odor emitted when opening the keg, one will be able to ascertain the presence of fish in the formulation. The fertilizer is a natural and organic one.
Even from the Alaska fish fertilizer reviews, one would be convinced of its effectiveness. Produced from the blend of sea fishes, the fertilizer contains more of Nitrogen.
The common essential plant elements, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, are represented in the formulation in the ratio 5:1:1. However, it also contains smaller quantities of Calcium, Sodium, Magnesium, and Sulphur.
A little quantity should be diluted for your indoor plants. On the other hand, you may decide to increase the concentration in the case of our outdoor plants. Once mixed, you can apply them on the leaves as it works fine via foliar application.
If you are going to be using the product, you should expect a strong odor in the first two days. Also, the odor may seem offensive to you but you need to be wary of your animals. Although it doesn’t burn plants, you should never apply in the sun and never forget to wash your hands after use.
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- It is an organic formulation and will have prolonged beneficial effects on the soil.
- It is mild on plants and, yet, effective.
- The pungent odor disappears after a few days of application.
- It is not restricted to tomatoes alone as it can be used for many plants depending on the nutrient requirements of the plant.
- It doesn’t burn or scorch plants. However, you should never apply it in the sun.
- Offers good value for money.
- Produces an offensive smell. The odor generated makes it less appealing for indoor use.
- It forms sediments even after mixing.
- The particle size is a little bigger for drip irrigation.
- Doesn’t come with an instruction manual.
- The odor attracts animals.
Jobe's Organics Bone Meal Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Natural Fertilizer for Controlling or Preventing End Rot)
Looking for vegetable fertilizers recommendations, here is one of them. The product is purely organic and verified by OMRI. The product is a great source of Calcium and Phosphorus for your tomato plants. In fact, it works well for almost vegetables, bulbs, flowers and tubers.
The product comes in a 4-pound pack. It contains grainy “prilled” form content which implies little dust produced during application.
The fertilizer contains Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Calcium in the ratio of 2:14:15 but is very deficient in Potassium. In other words, it is the best fertilizer to use when you discover that your tomato plants are deficient in Calcium.
You can identify Calcium deficiency in your plants when you notice the development of leaf-edge necrosis or bract-edge burn on the leaves. In your tomatoes, the appearance of the blossom end rot, where the base of the fruits begins to rot, may signal Calcium deficiency.
Although, the deficiency may not be as a result of insufficiency in the soil. Other factors such as water supply may complicate the issue. You may need to ensure water supply before applying the fertilizer.
The fertilizer, being a good source of Calcium, will ensure that the cell walls of the plants are properly held together.
- The product is recognized by OMRI.
- The product is purely organic.
- Just a little quantity is enough as it is a slow-release fertilizer.
- It comes with an understandable instruction manual which contains guidelines on how to fertilize your bulbs, roses, trees, and shrubs.
- It is a great source of Calcium.
- It does not generate any strong odor.
- It contains the elements needed for good rooting formation.
- It is relatively inexpensive.
- It may attract your dogs and cats.
- It cannot work with a foliar spray.
- It is deficient in Potassium.
Espoma DB3 Dried Blood Meal Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Organic Tomato Fertilizer for Soils Poor in Nitrogen)
Just as expected of a fertilizer, the Espoma DB3 Dried Blood Meal works just fine on tomatoes. The fertilizer is a blend of natural products which implies it’s an organic fertilizer. You can be sure that it will not have a harsh reaction on the soil and plants.
It poses as a very good source of organic Nitrogen. Nitrogen is an essential element needed for photosynthesis. With Nitrogen sufficiency, you can achieve a rich and green plant which translates to better productivity.
The product can be a good one for sick plants since it easily dissolves, moving into the plant rapidly. It comprises majorly of Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus.
To enrich to your vegetables, shrubs, and trees, simply apply 1 lb for every 100 square feet of your farm soil. Applying 2 lbs per 100 square feet will be nice for chronic deficiencies in these essential elements. Also, applying half to one tablespoon will be good for an individual plant.
- The product is available in 17 and 3-pound bags.
- It can be used to address Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus deficiencies.
- The Manufacturer’s website and the product’s pack is descriptive and understandable.
- It is easily absorbed by plants.
- It produces odor which can repel rabbits and squirrels from your garden.
- It contains 100 percent of organic plant nutrients.
- It doesn’t burn plants.
- The product offers more value for money.
- The fertilizer doesn’t have a good smell.
- It can be easily leached or washed away by rain.
Down to Earth 1948 Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Fertilizer for Cucumbers and Tomatoes, and for Lowering Soil PH)
The Down to Earth 1948 fertilizer, just like the previous fertilizer, is an organic fertilizer. But this time around, I have a cottonseed fertilizer. Cottonseed fertilizers are becoming more popular. They are made from the by-product of cotton manufacturing.
It is important to know that cottonseed fertilizers are acidic in nature. Except you are planting acid-loving or shallow-root plants, you may need to be careful. Since it is an acidic fertilizer, it can effectively lower your soil ph.
The product contains 6 percent of Nitrogen, 2 percent of Phosphorus and 1 percent of Potassium. This implies that the product has Nitrogen content which can improve the lushness and productivity of your tomato plants.
- The product is available in three sizes – 6-pound, 20-pound, and 50-pound.
- It is mild on plants.
- It lowers soil ph.
- It is a slow-release fertilizer and will be continually available even after application.
- It contains high organic content.
- Little possibility of foliar burns when used.
- It fosters the development of flowers which implies better fruiting potential for your tomato plants.
- Since it is an acidic fertilizer, it is ideal for acid-loving and shallow-root plants.
- The pack contains an understandable instructional guide.
- It can be applied all through the growing season.
- Since it is acidic, too much may result in soil acidification.
- Since it is a granular and slow-release fertilizer, it is not ideal for plants in need of urgent treatment.
- Can be harmful to pets.
- Might be difficult to store once opened.
Down To Earth Organic Feather Meal Tomato Fertilizer
(Best All-Nitrogen, Slow-Release Organic Tomato Fertilizer)
The Down TO Earth Feather fertilizer is an organic fertilizer made from feathers. It is just an impressive way of making our poultry wastes more useful particularly in the aspect of farming.
Produced from ground, hydrolyzed feathers, the product is an all Nitrogen fertilizer (12-0-0). It is also a slow-release fertilizer which will continually supply your soil with Nitrogen for a long time.
It is currently certified by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) which implies that it is ideal for organic production. Apart from tomatoes, it can also be used to grow corn. Since this fertilizer is deficient of Potassium and Phosphorus, you may need to mix with your homemade tomato fertilizer (compost).
- The product is certified by OMRI.
- It is a slow-release fertilizer. Even slower and can last longer in the soil.
- High Nitrogen concentration.
- It can be used as a pest repellant.
- It comes with quality packaging.
- It can be used throughout the growing season.
- It can be used to improve the soil structure, increase green, rich development of leaves and also activate the decomposition of compost.
- The fertilizer is not powdered.
- The product will not work in hydroponics because it is not water-soluble.
- Highly deficient in Phosphorus and Potassium.
- It has a horrible smell.
Charlie's Compost Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Natural Tomato Starter Fertilizer for Conditioning Your Soils Before Planting)
This product, as the name suggests, is an organic fertilizer. It is produced from the combination of various farm wastes including Chicken manure, Cornstalks, straw, forest products, and hay. Microbe inoculants and Clay are also added to provide more nutrients.
The Charlie’s Compost Tomato Fertilizer comes in a 10-pound bag. It does contain Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus but in smaller levels. However, it gives your plants lots of elements needed for proper growth and fruit development.
The compost fertilizer can be used to improve the structure, as well as, the microbial activity of your soil.
- The compost is dried naturally before packaging.
- It contains a lot of elements desired by plants.
- It doesn’t smell.
- It can be used for many plants in both indoors and outdoors.
- It helps to maintain the microbial activity of your soil.
- It can be used as a soil conditioner.
- The fertilizer cannot be applied via drip irrigation.
- It provides a little quantity of NPK.
- It can scorch or burn young plants if applied too close or excessively.
Chicken Manure Organic Compost Tea Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Organic Fertilizer to Replace Your Homemade Tomato Fertilizer)
Looking for fertilizer to rejuvenate the microbial activities in your soil? The Chicken Manure Organic compost fertilizer is best for you. Although ideal for tomatoes, it can also be used for other vegetables and flowers in your garden. It is organic and even recognized by OMRI as safe-to-use for organic growing,
The product was produced mainly from poultry waste and comes with an NPK ratio of 2:2:2. Despite the small ration of the three essential elements, it is not nutrient specific. This implies that it is rich in other elements needed by the plants.
Asides the supply of nutrients, it can also improve the activities of microorganisms in the soil. Furthermore, it can also improve the soil structure by boosting the development of humus. You can simply make a tea out of it to fertilize your soil.
- The product is certified and listed by OMRI as a safe organic fertilizer.
- It improves soil health by increasing the microbial activities of the soil.
- It does not generate any offensive odor.
- Improves the overall development of the plant by providing NPK, as well as, other nutrients needed by the plants.
- Its effect is almost instant.
- Improves soil structure.
- The product will not work well in case of chronic deficiency of NPK.
- Microbial development may become excessive.
- May not work well with drip or hose irrigation.
Garden Magic Compost and Manure Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Broad-Spectrum Fertilizer)
Here is another natural compost and manure, the Garden Magic Compost and Manure product that works well for your red fruits.
The product is a blend of rich natural reed sedge peat and composted nutrient-filled animal manure. It is a slow-release fertilizer and will help to increase the harvesting and yield of tomato on your farm over time.
The product offers a lower NPK content in the ratio 2-2-2. With the product, you are not restricted to NPK alone, it also supplies other nutrients to your soil.
Whilst it contains a number of microbes, it can also be used to increase the activities of microbes in your soil.
As you create your nursery, you can also add the product to your soil. It gives your young plants the needed magic to grow well. You also get to loosen and improve the soil structure.
- It does well in improving a large range of soils.
- The product is free from odor.
- Judging by the size of its pack, it is affordable.
- It works well for nursery planting
- It can be used to activate your homemade tomato fertilizer (yard waste compost).
- It can be used to bolster the microbial activities in your soil.
- It can be used the dress and blend the topsoil.
- It makes Nitrogen available for a long period of time.
- It can improve the water retention and moisture content of your soil.
- The product is not listed by OMRI.
- It can stimulate the development of non-beneficial microorganisms.
- May cause the development of weeds.
Control Release Plant Food Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Fertilizer with Balanced Npk Proportions and Many Trace Nutrients)
The Control Release Plant Food fertilizer is another great product to improve your tomato yield. From the packaging, one can be convinced of a decent response from your plant. It also comes with an understandable guide on its container.
It is one of those products with a balanced tomato fertilizer NPK ratio of 13-13-13. It is not an organic fertilizer, hence you should not expect to see the OMRI logo on the pack. However, it is slow-release fertilizer that will keep your soil nourished for a long time.
It contains a balanced ratio of the three primary elements, NPK. It also adds some secondary nutrients such as Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, Iron, Copper, Zinc and Molybdenum.
Since you should also use Sulphur for tomatoes as it enhances its flavor. It has a nice Sulphur content level too. Also, one can’t separate the relationship between Magnesium and tomato plants. Magnesium helps to improve the uptake of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sulphur.
- Comes in a water-tight container with a sturdy cap which allows you to protect its content even if you can’t exhaust them at once.
- The container bears an understandable guide and the constituents of the fertilizer.
- The fertilizer contains the three essential elements alongside some other secondary nutrients.
- It contains a balanced proportion of NPK.
- It is a slow-release fertilizer and can stay active for up to four months depending on conditions.
- It lowers the soil ph.
- It is economical and good for mixed cropping as it supports a broad spectrum of crops including bulbs and vegetables.
- The product is not certified by OMRI.
- Due to the Phosphorus level, it may not be ideal for soils that slope into a river as it can cause eutrophication.
- The release rate can be affected by weather conditions.
- May not be ideal for plants needing immediate treatments.
Neptune's Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Organic Fertilizer for Mini Gardens and Pots)
The popularity of organic fertilizers is increasing. They offer the purest, natural and earth-friendly way to improve your soil. Not only do they enrich the soil, but they also improve the soil structure. These qualities are also found in Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fertilizer.
The product is prepared from hydrolyzed fish, gotten from the North Atlantic, and seaweed. Whilst they are made to recycle wastes, they are also improved to supply the needed nutrients for proper plant growth.
The NPK content is 2-3-1, which Phosphorus taking the largest percentage amongst the three. However, it is also loaded with many secondary nutrients.
The product comes in a bottle with a label, bearing the instructions, wrapped around it. It bears the OMRI certification logo to ascertain its environmental-friendliness.
It weighs about 1kg and contains about the 1 Quart of the fertilizer. It works great for both outdoor and indoor plants. It can also be used as a compost activator.
- The product can be used for both indoor and outdoor plants.
- Manufactured from a blend of organic materials which is further confirmed with the appearance of the OMRI certification on its bottle.
- Comes in a bottle which allows you to store the fertilizer when you can’t finish it at once.
- It can easily dissolve into the plants.
- It can be applied to the soil and directly on the leaves (foliar application).
- Can be utilized as a compost activator or soil conditioner.
- Can be used to enhance the growth of soil microbes.
- The fertilizer will produce an unpleasant smell is not finished at once.
- Due to the low percentage of NPK, it may not be ideal to use alone, especially on terrible soils. You may need to combine other fertilizers with this to get what you desire.
- May attract insects and animals such as raccoons.
Jack's Classic Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
Do you need to increase the fruiting rate of your tomatoes? You might be doing enough but the plants are not delivering as expected. You should try Jack’s Classic Tomato fertilizer. It has the NPK formula of 12:15:30.
The fertilizer is branded in a decent container which comes with a cap. Since it has a firm cap, it is a nice resealable fertilizer to own. You do not have to exhaust everything at once. You can simply re-cap and store.
With this product, you should expect more green leaves and fruits as well as strong and thick vines to bear those fruits. The fertilizer is formulated to have a high percentage of Potassium to enhance fruiting.
With the inclusion of a good percentage of Calcium, it can help to alleviate the occurrence of end rot. Not only does it improve fruiting, but it also helps to maintain the aesthetics and improve the market-worthiness of those fruits.
This fertilizer is soluble in water. Hence, you can apply it on the soil or on the leaves of your indoor or outdoor plants. It is also great for hydroponics.
- It is enriched with Calcium which helps to eliminate the occurrence of blossom end rot, a disease which affects the fruit yield.
- It has high potassium content for proper fruiting.
- Comes with a resealable container.
- It comes with a free measuring spatula to help ensure accurate measurements.
- It can be applied to the leaves or soil.
- Works well in hydroponics.
- Contains other needed nutrients.
- Does not come with the OMRI certification.
- The product is a bit expensive.
- It may harden if exposed to air. You need to store properly in airtight conditions.
Texas Urban Farm Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Natural Fertilizer for Vegetables in Hydroponics)
The Texas Urban is a special fertilizer for vegetables. The result of applying this fertilizer is enough to keep motivated to produce more. It can be used for vegetables such as tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, pepper, and eggplants.
The fertilizer comes in 3.7-liter keg which implies you use for a long time and still store properly. The fertilizer has an NPK ratio for hydroponic tomatoes of 4-2.9-6.7 with potassium coming in high concentration. It can enhance proper fruiting.
With the small quantity of phosphorus, eutrophication is less likely to occur in nearby should there be any runoff. It is also packed with additional constituents such as kelp, enzymes, humic acid, worm casts, and mycorrhizae.
Importantly, it is also fortified with Calcium to help control end rot disease. It can be applied by spray bottle, hand-watering, hose-end and drip method on soil and leaves.
- Top-notch quality.
- The fertilizer comes in a keg; hence it can be stored when not exhausted at once.
- It is best to increase production from your tomato, cucumber, beans, pepper, eggplant and melon farm.
- It contains a useful percentage of Calcium needed to control the occurrence of blossom end rot.
- The fertilizer contains organic materials which can help improve the soil microbial activities.
- It is cheap and offers decent value for your money.
- It can be used with hand-sprayer, hose-end sprayer and in hydroponics.
- It works well on other plants. Hence, you can practice mixed cropping without buying multiple fertilizers.
- Can be applied both on the tomato foliage and the soil.
- The product doesn’t come with the OMRI certification hence it is a not all-organic.
- It won’t work well with fertilizer injector due to the presence of Calcium.
- It forms sediments easily. Hence, one should never forget to shake properly.
TeaDrops Premium Organic Vegetable Pepper & Tomato Fertilizer
The TeaDrops Premium Organic fertilizer is an impressive food for your tomato. The product has garnered many positive reviews to confirm its effectiveness. For those passionate about growing tomatoes, you should start considering this product.
It combines a number of natural materials which provides the nutrients needed by your tomato plants. The product is enriched by the addition of worm casting, humic acid, and fulvic acid.
It has a low NPK ratio of 2-2-2 which are slowly reduced into the soil depending on the conditions and also with the aid of soil microbes.
It is one of the most eco-friendly and user-friendly. Unlike fertilizer spikes, it comes in a paper container such that it is bio-degradable. The fertilizer is also made into mini tea-bag-like packs with are of definite and consistent quantity.
With this, you do not have to measure or stain your hands. Just a bag will make a gallon of organic tea.
Impressively, it is pet-friendly and doesn’t smell.
- Purely organic.
- Comes with a well-labeled container which is bio-degradable.
- Does not have a smell.
- Very easy to make into organic tea.
- Does not scorch plants.
- It comes in mini-bags with have a definite quantity. With this, you do not need a measuring spoon or handle with your fingers.
- Can be used for soil feeding, foliar application, or growing in hydroponics.
- Offers good value for your money.
- Great for indoor and outdoor plants.
- It is pet-friendly.
- Low concentration of NPK.
- Doesn’t come with the OMRI certification.
- Not great for plants with an urgent need for large quantities of NPK.
MasterBlend Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer
(Best Tomato Fertilizer Formulation with Great Value for Money)
For a bountiful harvest with market-worthy tomatoes on your farm, you should try the MasterBlend fertilizer.
The fertilizer is uniquely formulated for growing vegetables and tomatoes with great aesthetics. The fertilizer comes in a nylon bagging and is available in 1-pond, 5-pound and 25-pound sizes.
It has a super-rich blend of both the macro and micronutrients. The fertilizer has a formulation of 4-18-38 NPK as well as nutrients such as Zinc, Magnesium, and Copper.
The fertilizer is water-soluble and can be applied via hand spray, sprinkling or drip. It also works fine in hydroponics.
- The product is available in different sizes – 1 pound, 5 pounds, and 25 pounds.
- Fast action on plants.
- High concentrations of NPK.
- Improves the fruiting rate with its high potassium content.
- Contains some trace elements.
- It is highly soluble in water.
- Can be used in hydroponics.
- Can be used to grow other vegetables.
- Does not smell.
- The fertilizer is not organic.
- It has a high percentage of phosphorus. In cases of run-offs, fertilizers rich in phosphorus are more likely to cause eutrophication in nearby rivers.
- It doesn’t contain Calcium which is essential in preventing blossom end-rot.
- Contains a small number of trace nutrients.
- You cannot just mix with any fertilizer.
At What Point Do You Need to Use Tomato Plant Fertilizers?
Tomatoes ought to be first provided with fertilizer when you are planting them. You would then be able to hold up until they set fruits to begin putting fertilizer once again. As soon as the tomato trees begin developing fruits, put light fertilizer once within fourteen days.
Instructions to Fertilize Tomatoes
When applying fertilizer while planting tomatoes, blend the tomato plant manure thoroughly with the soil at the base on the planting holes, at that point place some unfertilized soil over this before setting the tomato plant into the planting hole. If it happens that the fertilizer gets into contact with the roots, the tomato plant will get burnt and won´t grow.
While putting fertilizer onto the tomato plants as soon as the fruits begin setting, ensure the tomato tree gets watered properly. If it happens that the tomato plant wasn’t watered adequately prior to applying the fertilizer, it can suck excess of the fertilizer and result in the plant drying out.
As soon as you finish watering, pour the fertilizer on the ground at about 6 inches away from the plant. Putting fertilizer near the base of the tomato plant can lead to the fertilizer diffusing onto the roots or stem causing the tomato plant to dry.
Step by Step Instructions to Choose Tomato Fertilizer
The Best Tomatoes Fertilizer Use the aforementioned 3 easy recommendations to select the right tomato fertilizer for your tomato crops.
Look up the Soil Quality
Before you start growing your tomatoes, inspect the status of your land and its properties. Does your tomato farm consist of clay soil or sandy soil? How is your vegetable growing soil's pH concentrations?
Although there may be plenty of vital nutrients including nitrogen or magnesium throughout the soil, the number of nutrients needed for the optimal development of tomatoes might not be accessible.
A more efficient strategy to be used in assessing the soil condition is to try to perform a soil inspection that will expose the measure of the supplements and the acidity of the soil.
Define the Developing Phase of Tomato Crops
They are made of different nutrients with regards to their production phases. When the tomato crops sprout, they require relevant fertilizer containing adequate phosphorus that promotes the plant to construct a strong root structure.
When the tomato crops on your farm are well established, a tomato fertilizer that includes extra potassium may help your tomato crops remain strong and safe and generate a constant harvest of larger tomatoes.
Despite the fact that nitrogen is significant for foliage development, an excessive amount of nitrogen can result in plants with a lot of foliage yet less fruiting of tomatoes.
Pick the Right Fertilizer
By now, you are well prepared to pick the type of fertilizer to use for your tomato.
Macro-supplements or Nutrients
- Macro-supplements have been generally stated on the exterior part of the envelope in just a 3-number sequence known as the N.P.K proportion. Such numbers correspond to the amount of important nitrogen, phosphorous as well as potassium plant food components which the fertilizer holds.
- Nitrogen stimulates the normal production of chlorophyll in a tomato plant which is crucial for the stem and leaf development.
- Phosphorus supplement enhances the strengthening of the roots, stalks, fruiting, and flowers.
- Potassium makes solid and robust root frameworks.
Fertilizers might likewise comprise of combinations of different micronutrients and natural organic supplements which remain very helpful for the growth of and development of the plants, for example:
- Calcium which kills unsafe matters in the earth mitigates and eliminates plant diseases such as blossom end rot as well as makes a progressively healthier soil condition for your crops.
- Magnesium is used to collect sunshine which helps the crop as well as its tomatoes to grow.
- Sulfur helps the form and overall development of the plant.
Tomato Fertilizer Varieties
Tomato fertilizer could be supplied to your crops using 3 absorption techniques: particles, paste, or liquid.
Such a form of fertilizer may be generally sprayed above the soil around the tomato plant foundation. Use either a farm hose pipe to water them to trigger the granules. Granular crop nutrition is also accessible in two types; moderate/consistent discharge as well as liquid soluble.
Moderate/Constant Release Granules
Moderate-discharge granules have a lengthy-lasting impact because the additives are continually discharged for a period of time, for two or more months. This means that one does not need to keep applying them routinely. Their particular period of the uninterrupted release time interval will be based on the type of fertilizer used.
This requires a substantial amount of period to obtain favorable outcomes and the soil acidity may decrease the efficacy of the granule. In case you apply modest release particles, establish the ground acidity prior to adding them.
Water-soluble crop essential micronutrients can be efficiently placed in water or you can disperse the powder at the foundation of the crop or mix this with topsoil after which the hose pipe is applied.
The crops then consume these life-supporting materials by the root structure, and this implies that you will get outcomes speedily, mostly at around one and a half to two weeks.
Such a form of tomato manure may be applied on a broad spectrum of crops, the field crops and potted crops for outdoor, nursery seedlings, and drip irrigation technologies.
Leaking is also a challenge in water-solvent crop nutrition, particularly in cases where the farm includes damp soil and receives much rain.
You further need a guarantee that the process entails the right proportion of water for a given measurement of the product in question as specified by the manufacturer because an overdose of the product results in the destruction of the plant leaves.
Liquid Tomato Nutrition
Fluid Tomato Nourishment such as Urban Farm, Earthworm Solutions Tea Drops, or Neptune's Harvest offers instant nutrients for your tomato crops so you need to get results right away.
You may spray the fluid by using a spray container, a garden sprayer or even watering. Liquid supplements could be highly concentrated and contribute to the weakening of young plants such as seedlings to ensure that the dietary content is reinforced in accordance with the guidelines.
Natural/Organic Tomato Fertilizer
Unlike manufactured fertilizers that could comprise of artificial chemicals or genetic engineering, industrial crop manures are 100 percent secure for use in the farm, around kids as well as animals, yet are environmentally sustainable.
Ordinary vegetable organic fertilizers are compounds acquired directly from nature that have not been genetically engineered.
The flipside about using organic tomato fertilizer is that it might work at such a reduced speed and contains multiple parts such as nitrogenous waste that can give everything a pungent smell.
Tomato Fertilizer FAQs
Tomatoes require much amount of food. They are quick to display any deficiency. Of course, everybody wants to have great yield from their tomato plants. So you need something, fertilizers, to help out.
There are lots of fertilizers out in the market with various proportions of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. They come in different ratios to suit the deficiency of the soil and plant. You need to find out the type you need.
I've compiled a list of best fertilizers you should start considering. They include both organic and synthesized ones. The Jack's Classic fertilizer proves to be the best overall tomato fertilizer, courtesy of its calcium levels which is essential in preventing end rot.
While you might be used to fertilizing tomatoes with Epsom salt, there are top organic fertilizers available too. The TeaDrops fertilizer is the best organic fertilizer on the list.
Before finalizing on what to buy, always check out the reviews of each product as well as their pros and cons. You may also seek the advice of an expert.
Now that you've gained some knowledge on how to improve your tomato yield, kindly share my post to your friends so they can increase their yield too.
Have you tried any of these products? kindly drop your comments below.