When it comes to cleaning grass and otherwise clearing bushes and undergrowth in your garden, we know how it can be a huge pain to do so. Not only is it time-consuming, but it also leaves you with sore muscles and an aching back the following day. Perhaps you want to find a better solution to mitigate this problem, but you do not know where to get started.
Granted, prune saws are a good bet, but why not find a brush cutter? Extendable and sharp, this particular gardening tool can cut through and otherwise fine-tune your lawn, bushes, and shrubs with ease, without having you to really put in the back-breaking effort for such minor details.
Once you know that is what you want, the next step is to figure out just how to acquire one, and just what features make up of a good brush cutter. Might seem a bit daunting at first, but we assure you that it is not as easy as it seems. In fact, we are here to help! Learn more in this article about how to find the best brush cutter for your garden, as well as be inspired by our selection to get you started. Pretty soon, you will trimming away in no time!
With that being said, let’s get started!
- Comparison of Top 5 Best Brush Cutters 2020
- Reviews of the Best Brush Cutters
- Things to Look for When Purchasing a Brush Cutter
- Our Top Pick
Comparison of Top 5 Best Brush Cutters 2020
|Brush Cutters||Quality||Price||Our Rating|
|TIMBERPRO 52cc Heavy Duty Brush Cutter||A||$$$||95/100|
|Hitachi CG22EAP2SL 21.1cc Brush Cutter - Editor's Choice||A+||$$$||100/100|
|Tanaka TCG22EAP2SL Brush Cutter||A||$$$||95/100|
|Remington RM2700 Ranchero 27cc 2-Cycle Brush Cutter||A-||$$$||90/100|
|Solo 109L 29cc Brush Cutter||A||$$$||95/100|
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Reviews of the Best Brush Cutters
TIMBERPRO 52cc Heavy Duty Brush Cutter
With a heavy-duty 52cc power engine and a durable trimmer feature, Timberpro’s brush cutter is easy to start and operate, while also consisting of a shoulder strap to help you support the hefty machinery as you work. It is the perfect gift for professionals to use, for it can tackle the thickest of bushes and shrubs wherever you are.
- Contains a powerful 52cc engine that is heavy-duty to trim off even the thickest, overgrown lawn, bushes, and shrubs, whether in your backyard or in the industry.
- Comes with a shoulder strap attached to give it support while also keeping it manageable to use, especially for long periods of time.
- Is robust and durable, and it is able to last you a long time.
- Can be quite bulky, and so perhaps not very convenient for beginners or occasional users.
Hitachi CG22EAP2SL 21.1cc Brush Cutter
This sharp and powerful two-stroke engine brush cutter from Hitachi is made from stainless steel that offers not only durability, but also extra power to the gear head whenever you cut through those tough plots of grass. Its distinctive S-Start system offers a smooth startup and its anti-vibration system ensures a quieter, easy-to-manage cutting experience.
- Made from stainless steel for a longer-lasting product, as well as more power for the gear head when cutting through grass.
- Has a special S-Start feature for a quick and efficient startup process.
- Is noiseless with its well-designed anti-vibration system, so that you and others can have a quieter gardening experience.
- The guard is small, so that you end up getting a lot of grass in your way when using it.
Tanaka TCG22EAP2SL Brush Cutter
Tanaka TCG22EAP2SL Brush Cutter offers a 4-inch semi-automatic trimmer head that provides an easy, hassle-free cutting experience. It is also very lightweight at only 11 lbs., thereby being convenient and practical to carry around with you from place to place as you can trim just about anywhere with this portable brush cutter from Tanaka.
- Offers a powerful two-stroke engine for efficiency and getting the trimming job done in no time flat.
- Has a 4-inch semi-automatic trimmer head that is easy to control and makes it less of a chore when cutting grass.
- Is lightweight at a mere 11 lbs., so it is simple to move and carry around with you during your trimming experience.
- You get pelted a lot with grass from this brush cutter, since it does not have guards as well to protect you from it.
- The gear head might be unable to move at all, or not work if it is overtightened.
Remington RM2700 Ranchero 27cc 2-Cycle Brush Cutter
Remington’s 27cc, 2-cycle engine also offers a Quick Start technology that makes it easier to start and pull to get it up and running. Its 8-inch cutting width and straight shaft model also can target a wide range of land, while being able to get into hard-to-reach places with no sweat.
Finally, Remington RM2700 Ranchero 27cc 2-Cycle Brush Cutter is super versatile in that it can be converted into a string trimmer, a blower, a hedge trimmer, and much more.
- Provides a Quick Start technology for making it easier to turn on and turn off for a speedy cutting experience.
- Has a wide, 8-inch cutting width, as well as a straight shaft design for getting inside the nooks and crannies of certain bushes and shrubs.
- Can be converted into other kinds of machinery, e.g. blower, hedge trimmer, cultivator, etc.
- The blade is rather difficult to remove, especially when it comes to converting it into other things for different gardening purposes.
Solo 109L 29cc Brush Cutter
Solo’s brush cutter comes with an easy-start primer for a quick and simple activation, as well as an anti-vibration system for a smooth, noise-free trimming operation. Its rigid drive shaft comes with five bearings for extra security when using it, and it can be sure to leave you with a clean and pristine lawn in a short matter of time.
- Has an easy-start primer to turn on the machine quickly, so that you can get started trimming immediately.
- Consists of an anti-vibration system that is less noisy while also easier to manage for you.
- Has a rigid drive shaft with five bearings for security and protection, so that you will be safe when operating the brush cutter.
- Is still a relatively new product, so there still might be some things that it can improve on for future manufacturing.
Things to Look for When Purchasing a Brush Cutter
Granted, searching for the ideal brush cutter for your garden can be a long process, so it is best to be patient when doing so. Generally speaking, you will to consider just how severe the condition of your lawn is, whether it only needs a little trim, or requires a heavy-duty makeover to keep it under control. With that said, here are some aspects that you will need to look into before making your purchase:
Type of Brush Cutter
Once again, depending on the situation of your lawn and how often you are willing to trim it from time to time, you can choose one of two brush cutters to get started:
Affordable and lightweight, electric brush cutters are the way to go for managing your overgrown lawn. They are easy to use, which makes them perfect for beginners to operate, and them are also quiet and maneuvers in just about any direction you want them to move.
However, they are not as powerful as other types of brush cutters out there, considering that they have to compensate for its smaller size. That said, they work the best for smaller plots of area, such as your front lawn, but they probably cannot hold up with a large forest.
On the other hand, gas brush cutters are heavier and louder than electric ones, but at the same time are significantly more powerful. They can clear large plots of land in no time, even at the cost of expelling fumes into the environment.
That being said, if you tend to clear a lot of land often or have an incredibly overgrown lawn, then the gas brush cutter will be the best option for you.
Two-Stroke Versus Four-Stroke Engines
Just what is the difference between these two types of engines? As a rule of thumb, two-stroke engines are usually more powerful than four-stroke ones, just because they have less moving parts, which then gives it more movement and cutting opportunities to have.
However, two-stroke engines are more likely to break down, because of the less moving parts, and they tend to be louder than four-stroke ones. On the other hand, four-stroke engines have more parts and are quieter when in operation, as well as an oil lubrication system to keep it running smoothly. They are not as powerful as two-stroke engines, but regardless are reliable to use.
Especially if you have a brush cutter than is incredibly noisy, then having a vibration dampener is worth getting along with the product. Not only will you hear less noise, but so will your neighbors, too, thereby contributing to a smoother, more peaceful grass-cutting experience than ever.
Straight Versus Bent Shaft
This refers to the cutting head of the brush cutter, which may or may not move in order to get to hard-to-reach places underneath certain grassy areas. As their names suggest, straight shafts do not really move around to get to those difficult places, while bent shafts are flexible to move around with. It will be up to you to decide which one to get for your lawn.
Our Top Pick
Altogether, the winner of this roundup goes to Hitachi CG22EAP2SL 21.1cc Brush Cutter. Not only is it made from high-quality stainless steel for longer durability and sturdiness, but also it has an excellent anti-vibration system which makes it virtually noiseless when you are using it. Perfect for beginners and professionals alike, Hitachi’s brush cutter will be sure to make your grass-trimming experience a good one.