If you are an avid gardener who enjoys tending to your garden on a regular basis, then perhaps you often find yourself planting, pruning, and otherwise watering it, in order to keep it in good, healthy shape. Granted, it takes a lot of time and work, but you do not mind it, since you are so passionate about gardening.
With that said, perhaps you have a large garden that requires lots of water in order to keep the grass, flowers, and bushes in excellent health. You might also find that your usual, run-of-the-mill water hose is just not cutting it for you, especially since you have acres to get to.
Maybe you are at loss on how to go about finding a bigger, better hose for more efficient watering, and so we are here to tell you that getting an expandable hose will do the trick! As the name suggests, it can expand up to twice, even three times, its size, as means of producing more gallons per second and thereby keeping your watering activity shorter and more productive.
Hence, in this article, we are here to give you tips on how to find the best expandable hose for you, along with recommending you a few of our favorite picks. Soon enough, you will be tending to your garden with ease and less effort in no time. That said, let’s get started!
- Comparison of Top 5 Best Expandable Hoses for Your Garden 2020
- Reviews of the Best Expandable Hoses for Your Garden
- Things to Look for When Picking an Expandable Hose
- Our Top Pick
Comparison of Top 5 Best Expandable Hoses for Your Garden 2020
|Expandable Garden Hoses||Quality||Price||Our Rating|
|Phantom 100' Expandable Garden Hose||A+||$$||97/100|
|LawnPRO 50’ Expanding Garden Hose||A||$||95/100|
|TruTec 75' Black Expanding Garden Hose||A-||$$||90/100|
|Gardenirvana 50' Expandable Garden Hose||A||$||95/100|
|Pro Green 100' Expandable Garden Hose - Editor's Choice||A+||$||100/100|
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Reviews of the Best Expandable Hoses for Your Garden
Phantom 100' Expandable Garden Hose
Lightweight and durable, Phantom’s expandable garden hose is easy to carry around with you while also being leak-free with its solid brass ends. Its double layer latex core also can handle high pressures with ease, thereby giving you a solid watering experience for your garden.
- Is lightweight for easier portability, so that you do not have to struggle under the weight of carrying it around.
- Is made from solid brass ends for better durability.
- Consists of a double layer latex core to be able to handle high water pressure.
- Expands only about a quarter inch in diameter, which could be more.
LawnPRO 50’ Expanding Garden Hose
Consisting of a hefty 5000 Denier wrap, LawnPRO’s expandable garden hose is extra tough, also with copper fittings and steel clamps to top it off. It can be super compact, shrinking down to just under 20 inches when not in use, as well as being lightweight at only 2.5 lbs. It can be kink free, due to the structure of it, so there should be no problem at all.
- Has a 5000 Denier wrap, which makes it extra tough and durable for long-term use.
- Is able to be compact, diminishing down to 20 inches.
- Designed in a way so as to be kink-free from tangles and other inconveniences.
- Might not expand to its full 50 feet, which might make it difficult to stretch out for usage.
TruTec 75' Black Expanding Garden Hose
With not just double, but a triple layer latex core built into its system, TruTec’s expandable hose performs very well in terms of preventing splitting or bursting, which you definitely would not want to have while in the middle of watering.
It also contains a stainless-steel hose holder, which keeps the nozzle nice and cradled when not in use. It also comes with a large duffel bag to keep the hose well-contained outside of watering.
- Contains a triple layer latex core for avoiding possibilities of bursting or splitting.
- Has a stainless-steel hose holder for hanging up the nozzle when you are done watering.
- Comes with a black duffel bag to keep your hose compact and stored when not being used.
- Spray nozzle is made of plastic, which might not hold up well with use over time.
Gardenirvana 50' Expandable Garden Hose
Gardenirvana 50 ft Expandable Garden Hose comes as a great deal, in that it not only contains the hose itself, but also a seven-pattern spray nozzle, three rubber washers, a storage bag, and much more. Aside from that, it is kink-free and lightweight, all the while being able to expand up to three times its normal size.a
- Comes in a large pack of extra accessories, including a spray nozzle, rubber washer, a storage bag, and so much more.
- Can expand up to three times its normal length, thereby offering more water when in use.
- Is made from an elastic outer fabric to protect itself from sharp objects (e.g. thorns, claws, etc.).
- The end of the hose can cramp up, thereby making it difficult to attach to the faucet to get started.
Pro Green 100' Expandable Garden Hose
Pro Green’s expandable garden hose is made of multiple layers, from its rubber inner core to its nylon webbing, thereby giving it a tough and flexible feel to it, respectively. It has extra thick rubber washers all around it to prevent leaking, and it prides itself in being kink-free and coming with an eight-way spray nozzle for versatility.
- Consists of many layers (rubber inner core, nylon webbing) for sturdiness and flexibility.
- Contains extra thick rubber washers for leak prevention.
- Has an eight-way spray nozzle for even more versatility when watering all sorts of plants, flowers, or bushes.
- Spray attachment material might feel a bit cheap for some users.
Things to Look for When Picking an Expandable Hose
Just like with any product out there, you will first have to do your research on just what kinds of expandable hoses are out there on the market, in order to make sure that you choose the best one for you.
Granted, it is not a short, easy process, but all the same, taking the time to search and find the types out there will be a worthwhile purchase at the end of the day. With that said, here are the most important aspects to consider when picking and buying your next expandable hose:
Type of Expandable Hose
You might be surprised to discover that there are a couple of different types of expandable hoses on the market, which depending on their material can serve different purposes for you as a gardener, as well as your garden itself. Here are the two types of expandable hoses:
This is the eponymous hose, which consists of two different types of material: a rubber inner tube that expands when pressure is added to it and a tough, hardier material outside of it, as means of keeping the hose together.
They are useful in that they are compact and light, therefore easy to carry around. Some can stretch up to two times their normal length, while others can even go for three times its size. In any case, both are incredible feats and they can certainly save you the time and hassle of having to water your garden for a long period of time.
As the name suggests, this type of expandable hose is made from coiled spring, which stretches out vertically, but not necessarily horizontally. It is more manual-based than the expandable version and it does not use water pressure to expand.
Although coil hoses do stretch a little bit, they are not much different from normal hoses, except perhaps being bigger and longer than usual.
While expandable hoses can be very practical in terms of watering more per second than usual, you will also need to keep in mind their durability, especially if you are expecting yourself to keep using it for your garden in the next years to come.
With that said, there might be problems concerning the plastic cap which connects the hose to its source: at least if you switch it out, it can be difficult to put it back in again.
Along with that, any leaks in the hose will be extremely difficult to fix; that said, it is necessary to make sure that the hose is completely free of water after a watering session, for cold temperatures can freeze the inside of it and create ice which stab through the material while hot weather can lead to durability issues inside the material.
Finally, the rubber and fabric material of expandable hoses can be subject to wear and tear, especially if you drag it all over your garden. That said, it is essential to purchase one that can withstand all of these possible problems.
Aside from having the expandable hose itself, it would not be a bad idea to consider adding more to enhance its function:
- Spray nozzle. Depending on what you want to water, sometimes it can be a good idea to have a spray nozzle that can be adjusted for different water flow, whether sprinkling or in jet form.
- Storage hooks. Along with storage reels, storage hooks are very useful in fastening the hose together once you finish watering, so that it does not get tangle afterwards.
- Tap adaptor. Whether it is wide or narrow, knowing what kind of tap adaptor you want to get to control water flow will be very beneficial to your overall gardening experience.
Our Top Pick
All in all, the winner of this roundup for expandable hoses would have to go to the Pro Green 100 Ft Expandable Garden Hose.
With its extra layers for tough durability and light flexibility, this product certainly went above and beyond in being long-lasting while also staying true to the expandable hose type. Its eight-way spray nozzle also gave it an extra, beneficial dimension to the watering process, since now you can water just about anything in your garden with ease. Definitely give this a go!
Did you find this article helpful? Let me know in the comments and share with someone you know!