How You Can Find The Best Broadcast Spreader For Gardening
When it comes to spreading out your seeds in a large garden, perhaps you find it a huge pain to manually plant them one by one, acre by acre. Granted, it is true that the process can be time-consuming while also not being very efficient, so maybe you are considering another option to spreading your seeds as means of cultivating your garden.
With that said, a broadcast spreader might just be what you need. Also known as a “broadcast seeder” or a “fertilizer spreader,” these distinctive machines are a good way to not only spread your seeds, but also fertilizer, soil, and other garden-related ingredients to create a healthy, wholesome garden for you.
Maybe you are unsure of where to get started, so we are here to help! Learn more in this article on how to choose the best broadcast spreader for you, as well as receive some of our top picks to get you on the way in no time. Soon enough, you will be spreading those seeds like no other. With that said, let’s begin!
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Things To Consider When Picking A Good Broadcast Spreader
You might be surprised to find that, when deciding on a good broadcast spreader, there are a lot of factors to look into for that. It is not just about the machinery itself, but also your environment along with what will fit your lifestyle. That said, here are a few points to consider while looking for a broadcast spreader:
#1. Your Garden
Before you even start looking, you will need to consider the status of your garden, and so having a general idea of its features will make it easier to decide just what type of broadcast spreader you will need to start seeding. Here, we break down several points to take notes on:
#2. Plastic Versus Steel
Generally speaking, you have two choices when it comes to the bucket you fill for your planting ingredients, either plastic or steel.
With plastic, it is more durable, although it might not be as precise as steel ones. As for steel, it is sturdy and offers more precise seeding than plastic versions, but tend to easily rust, which makes it less durable in the long run.
#3. Professional-grade Versus Homeowner-grade Spreader
As their names suggest, they can be used for either professional use or that of the home, respectively. With professional-grade broadcast spreaders, they can be applied to large plots of land, and in particular are used for agricultural planting purposes.
On the other hand, homeowner-grade broadcast spreaders are used for, as previously mentioned, the home garden. More specifically, they work better for smaller plots of land, and they usually are used less frequently than professional-grade ones, thereby being less sturdy and durable for intense, long-term usages.
#3. Broadcast Versus Drop Spreaders
Finally, it is recommended that you look at not just broadcast spreaders, but also drop spreaders to see just what exactly you might need for your garden. Sometimes, a drop spreader might be better, while other times a broadcast one will suffice.
- Broadcast spreader. This particular spreader works well with larger, wider plots of land, thereby getting the seeding done in a short amount of time. However, they require more skill to handle, and they are not guaranteed to be precise in its application.
- Drop spreader. On the other hand, drop spreaders are better for smaller plots of land, which as a result makes it more precise to use. They keep the product within bounds, and they are not as affected by the wind.
Top Five Best Broadcast Spreaders For Gardening
With its exclusive EdgeGuard Technology and ready-to-use features, Scotts’ turf builder broadcast spreader is sure to handle your garden with ease and efficiency. It can seed up to 5000 square feet while also containing that same amount in its storage compartment. There is no assembly required, so once you take it out of its package, it is already prepared to be used!
- Consists of an EdgeGuard Technology for precision when seeding even the trickiest corners of your garden.
- Is able to seed up to 5000 square feet of space while also containing that amount in its storage.
- No need to assemble it, which makes for a quicker and more efficient use.
- Made from plastic, along with the wheels which might not feel very stable.
Upon first opening the package, I was incredibly pleased to discover that there was no assembly required for Scotts’ turf builder broadcast spreader; I just took it out, fill it up, and was set to go! The size is small, but it works perfectly for my small garden; it did a good job of keeping it within bounds at the corners, too.
Only thing was that it felt a bit too light and flimsy for me, which worried me for its sturdiness and durability.
This battery-powered and hand-held spreader from Scotts is quite distinctive in that it is much more portable than other spreaders out there, all the while still able to seed up to 2500 square feet worth of land. It is also diverse in that it not only seeds, but also weeds, melts, and otherwise feeds your garden all year-round, depending on what it needs.
- Is battery-powered, which makes it more efficient to go through with the seeding process at ease.
- Is hand-held, thereby making it portable for seeding a solid 2500 square feet of land.
- Feeds, seeds, weeds, and melts your garden for all seasons, so that it is extremely versatile.
- Can be easily clogged inside, so you will need to take it apart in order to clean it up.
Different from what I had used so far, Scotts’ hand-held spreader was light on the load, while also being battery-powered to shoot seeds for a good 2500 square feet of land, which was just right for the size of my garden. I also appreciated its other functions to feed, weed, and melt during the other seasons out there.
However, I found the batteries to be pretty short-lived, as well as the fact that the machine got easily clogged often, so it was a pain to take apart the machine every time just to clean it up.
Offering up to 50 lbs. worth of spread in its storage compartment, Master Gardner’s broadcast spreader can provide a hefty load for all sorts of gardens, whether large or small. It has steel-rubber wheels for solid steering, as well as an adequate hopper to get things well on their way.
Overall, it can complete seeding on large plots of land in a short amount of time, thereby giving you more time spent to relax and allow your garden to grow.
- Provides up to 50 lbs. worth of spread to be stored in its machinery.
- Contains steel-rubber wheels for both durability and easy-to-steer features.
- Completes seeding on large plots of land quickly, with less turns and rounds to do than other spreaders out there.
- Its spreading process might not be the smoothest, thereby leaving clumps for you to deal with later for smoothing out.
Master Gardner’s broadcast spreader was pretty good at holding a hefty amount of product, especially when it came to spreading my garden. The material feels very durable, coming from both steel and rubber, that is. I was able to get the seeding done within an hour or so.
However, I was left with a couple of clumpy, uneven parts, so then that required me to go back and smooth them out.
Distinctive in its design in relation to other comparable spreaders, Garden-Outdoor’s hand-operated bag spreader is not your usual broadcast spreader in that it stores the product inside of a bag, which holds up to 25 lbs. worth of seeding mixture.
It also consists of an oscillating shut-off plate, as means of avoiding any clumping and assists in flow control within the machine itself.
- Is distinctive for its bag spreader design, which offers more flexibility when filling it up with product.
- Holds up to 25 lbs. of product, which goes well with tending to small plots of land.
- Has an oscillating shut-off plate to prevent clumping and encourages flow control while in use.
- Shoulder strap could be better by having padding and adjustability.
Altogether, Garden-Outdoor’s bag spreader is unique in design while also being a simpler way to get your seeding product out there and into your garden for planting and growing. It does a good job of producing clump-free areas, all the while being smooth in operation.
Then again, it requires you to hold it up with a shoulder strap, which could be more comfortable with padding and options to adjust it based on your size.
Portable and easy to clean, Solo’s spreader offers up to 20 lbs. of product inside of it, while also having a large opening for you to get to more easily when it comes to keeping it clean from any clumps or clogs inside of the machine.
Its gearbox-driven agitator is non-corrosive for better durability, and all the while it has a comfortable shoulder strap for you to carry on without any problem.
- Is portable for easier access and lightweight for carrying up to 20 lbs. worth of product.
- Has a large opening for better cleaning.
- Contains non-corrosive material in some of its compartments for longer-lasting effects.
- Does not contain a flow-control lever, which might make it more susceptible to forming clumps when in operation.
Solo’s portable spreader was pretty comfortable to use, especially since it had a limit of 20 lbs., thereby being lighter in weight, as well as a comfortable shoulder strap to wear even for long periods of time without any problem.
Only thing that could have been better was having a flow-control level to keep it consistent when operating the machinery, as I found some clumps at the end of it all.
Winner Of The Roundup
When it comes down to it, the winner of this roundup would have to go to Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader (#1). Not only is it able to seed up to a whopping 5000 square feet of land, but also it takes into consideration the precision needed in order to make the spreading process the most effective; especially with its EdgeGuard technology, you can be assured that this spreader will cover all cuts and corners of your garden for the most efficient planting and gardening experience.
Did this help you make your decision? Comment below and share these tips with someone you know!